Responsible to: Principal
Salary: Scale E Point 18 (£18,870 per annum pro rata)
Dates: Term time plus 5 weeks
Hours: 15 hours per week
Start date: As soon as possible
Location: St Mary’s Church of England Junior School
Main Job purpose
To carry out a full range of duties to provide high standards of cleanliness, general security and maintenance of the school premises. To include cleaning, handyperson activities and supervision of school cleaning staff. This will be conducted under the general supervision of a line manager and the Principal.
- Be responsible for the security of the school premises and be the main key holder
- Be responsible for locking and unlocking school premises outside of normal school hours and following the security alarm procedures. Respond to security alarm call outs.
- Undertake and record regular checks on play equipment, legionella risk, alarm systems, ladders and fire extinguishers and report any problems arising
- Identify and report building, furniture or fitting deficiencies to the Principal and to undertake any remedial action. This may involve arranging emergency repairs and obtaining quotes from contractors.
- Undertake range of handyperson duties (ie those not requiring a qualified craftsperson) as directed by the Principal (eg remedial painting and decorating, repairs to fittings, repairs to taps and cisterns, fitting shelves/ notice boards and any general school improvements etc)
- Monthly monitoring on usage of oil, electricity, water and take meter readings
- Monitor, order and take delivery of stores, goods and equipment including cleaning materials and arrange their safe storage.
- Be responsible for general tidiness and safety of outside areas including:
- Keep drains clear of obstructions
- Ensure safe pedestrian access at all times, including keeping paths and entrances clear of leaves and moss, gritting and snow clearing during severe weather conditions
- Treat car park and playground areas with salt/grit as appropriate
- Ensure grounds and steps are free from leaves, moss and mud
- Keep signage clean and free from algae
- Check trees for broken/ overhanging branches that could pose a safety risk
- Maintain staff and pupil toilet facilities ensuring they are in working order, ensuring appropriate supplies of consumables are available
- Deal with blocked toilets and blocked drains - This may involve arranging emergency repairs and obtaining quotes from contractors.
- Set out/put away furniture for school events etc
- Make appropriate arrangements for the collection of school waste
- Regularly clean designated areas of the school building and grounds according to instructions
- Power wash classroom chairs/dining room chairs at least once per year
Health and Safety
- Comply with the requirements of Health and Safety at Work regulations
- Take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of yourself and others, including adherence to ‘lone working’ guidelines
- Cooperate with the school to ensure that Health and Safety responsibilities are carried out
- Perform duties in line with health and Safety and COSHH regulations and take action where hazards are identified, reporting serious hazards immediately to the Principal or other senior person
- Use manual tools and power tools for appropriate repair and maintenance tasks. Cleaning equipment, including buffing machine and cleaning chemicals, will be used on regular basis. Training will be arranged as necessary
- Seek out new resources that will improve the cleanliness and enhance the school
- Have understanding of how to operate school alarm system. Training will be arranged as necessary
Knowledge and Skills
- ·Willingness to undertake training, possibly off site and to attend meetings required to satisfactorily carry out the above requirements
Supervision and Management
- You will be required to work without direct supervision ie during school holidays, following lone working guidelines as necessary
- You will be responsible for supervising and having oversight of the work of the cleaner(s)
Key contacts and relationships
- Daily contact with the Schools Support Manager
- Build positive relationships with school staff, responding willingly to reasonable requests
Some lifting is required. Routine cleaning may include the movement and handling of cleaning equipment, machinery and school furniture
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Any applicant must expect to comply fully with enhanced DBS and reference vetting checks.
How to Apply:
Please contact the school if you would like to look around the school or phone the school (01508 530459) for further information.